The way you treat customers, handle their feedback, and serve their needs can be the most powerful selling point of your business. Customer satisfaction comes down to the way customers feel after they’ve made a purchase. Your customer service policy can either make or break your business. Here’s how to bulletproof your customer service policy.Before we get into the how-to, let’s look at the why-to. Here’s a few overwhelming statistics:
It’s evident that a good customer service policy is extremely critical to the success of your business. Spend time and energy maintaining your existing clients and customers with good service procedures, and they’ll stick around. Otherwise, you’re in for a bad ride.
Meet Them Where They’re At
A good customer service goal is to make it as easy as possible for a customer or client to get the help they need. Make it as convenient as possible, and get creative about it. 80% consumers prefer phone conversations for support. Make it easy for them to find your phone number and the right extension. For the other 20%, you could offer on your website a self-help portal, or a troubleshooting and FAQ page that could help solve their issues.
Take Them Seriously
Let’s face it, there’s a part in every one of us that likes to complain. It’s usually easy for a customer to give negative feedback, just like how it’s really easy to spout off about a bad customer after we talk to them. However, you have the choice to take that customer seriously, and ask yourself if there is any truth in their negative feedback. While in conversation, always be genuine and apologetic, and express your willingness to get the issue solved.
Reach Them First
By keeping in contact with your customers and clients, you are communicating that you still care about their business, even after they’ve been sold on your products and services. Blogs, newsletters, webinars, white papers, etc. are good means to this appreciative communication. Be sure to provide relevant and valuable content in these publications, not just another sales pitch (they’ll see right through it). Keeping this line of communication open is a sure way to increase customer satisfaction.
Start at Home
Perhaps the best customer service experiences stem from the root of employee satisfaction. Companies with high customer service ratings like Amazon, Apple, and Google, start with satisfying the employees that work with customers. You don’t have to install a seven-acre sports complex, gym, and nap room to have great employee satisfaction (but that would be awesome). Just go a little bit out of your way to let your employees know that you appreciate them. They’ll be happy to pass the kindness on to your customers.
Take Advantage of Customer Service Tools
Using the right technology can greatly enhance the customer service experience. Your business can implement communication solutions like VoIP to find new ways to connect with your customers. There are also great customer service applications your business can use to keep track of your customer’s experiences. To learn about more business technologies that will compliment your company’s customer service, give Setton Consulting a call at 212-796-6061.
A bulletproof customer service policy will take some time to customize based on your size, market, and culture, but it shouldn’t be avoided. Your focus on pleasing your current customers and clients will make them want to keep buying from you, so you’ll spend less time and money on reaching new ones. A satisfied customer will also likely tell their friends about your company, increasing your service base organically. All in all, there are many benefits of prioritizing customer service.
Obviously there are plenty of ways to bulletproof your customer service policy; what are some of your company’s best practices? Share with us your successful customer service policies in the comments!